13-Year-old kills self after torture in Kaduna

A tragic incident has unfolded in the Ungwan Maigero community of Chikun Local Government Area in Kaduna State, where 13-year-old Wisdom Hashimu died by suicide on Thursday, June 7.

This heart-wrenching event followed alleged torture by a soldier and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) over a false accusation of theft.

The ordeal began on June 1 when Wisdom was accused of stealing N10,000 from a neighbor, a 16-year-old girl named Hope. Hope had invited her boyfriend, Segun Samson, a soldier stationed at Bodi Camp in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to their home. When the money went missing during his visit, Hope called upon Samson, who then involved the Civilian JTF.

Rather than reporting the incident to the police, Samson dragged Wisdom and Hope’s brother to the Civilian JTF office. There, Wisdom, who was in the midst of his Junior Secondary School examinations, was brutally beaten. According to his father, Mr. Saul, the beating was so severe that Wisdom could barely walk and required medical attention upon his return home.

The situation took a devastating turn on June 7 when Wisdom’s lifeless body was discovered hanging in the family’s compound on Lafiya Sarki Street. The young boy’s father expressed deep grief and anger, condemning the actions of the Civilian JTF and the soldier who he believes are responsible for driving his son to such a desperate act.

Mr. Saul revealed that, following the torture, Hope’s younger brother later confessed to the theft. He was found with N9,000 in his possession, having already spent N1,000. Despite this confession, it was Wisdom who bore the brunt of the punishment, while Hope’s brother was reportedly spared any significant harm.

The family is now demanding justice for the unjust treatment and subsequent suicide of their son. The Kaduna State Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, confirmed that an investigation is underway. The Commissioner of Police has tasked the Department of Criminal Investigation with taking full charge of the case to ensure that those responsible are held accountable.

This incident highlights the urgent need for adherence to proper legal protocols and the prevention of vigilante justice to avoid such tragic outcomes in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like